Immersion is defined as “absorbing involvement" or “deep engagement." Thus, in this type of learning environment students are notably engaged and absorbed in the content made available to them through either linear presentations or through interactive media. As students themselves are becoming digital natives that are quite media savvy, traditional classroom and on‐line contexts are incorporating more mediated instruction such as multimedia presentations, games, pervasive games, simulations, computer/web based applications and mobile applications.
The Division of Emerging Learning Technologies of AECT feels that efforts in this arena that demonstrate significant increases in learning should be noted and rewarded. This competition is targeted at university faculty, Corporate Trainers, Associate Instructors, instructional technologists, K‐12 teachers and instructional technology graduate students who have utilized this form of intervention with demonstrated increase in learning.
The Immersive Learning Awards have submission in three categories
1. The most engaging LINEAR
2. The most engaging NON‐LINEAR
3. The most engaging GRADUATE STUDENT
(linear or non-linear) multimedia submission
These categories are judged on the production qualities of the submission such as High Fidelity Audio, Visual, and Graphic components, as well as documentation that learning objectives were met, and students seriously engaged with the media and learning materials. This means that the entry would need to have an executive summary of the learning goals of the intervention, documentation about and from learners, and evidence that learners were engaged and met or exceeded learning expectations.
The Linear presentation can be traditional film, video, or a combination of media such as text, visuals, audio and video, but not a live performance. A multi‐modal
environment using both media and a live performance could be considered.
The Non‐Linear submission can be online, a product for individual use, a combination of text, visuals, audio video etc, or a pervasive environment integrating web
based, games and simulation and mobile technologies.
Call for Entries: May 1, 2016
Deadline for submission: August 8th, 2016
Awards Notification: September 15th, 2016
– (Exposure, Focus, Framing, Color, Contrast, etc)
– (Clarity, Frequency spectrum, Timbre, Volume, etc)
– (Pacing, Continuity, Rhythm, Content Density, etc)
‐(Clarity of Navigation, Layout, Look & Feel, Choice of Graphic Elements, Text, and Imagery, etc)
– (Clarity, Appropriateness, Scope, Match to Learner, etc)
– (Documentation of Time‐on‐task, Learner Comments re: Immersion and focused attention, etc)
– (Data comparing performance on non‐immersive learning environments to those of the entry environment, Learner comments re: motivation and increased learning, etc)
All submissions should consist of:
An AECT Member Name who is sponsoring the submission
A declaration of the category under which it is being entered (LINEAR, NON LINEAR, or GRADUATE)
An Executive Summary of no more than three pages that states:
• the learning goals of the intervention
• documentation about the context and learners
• evidence that learners were engaged with the intervention media
• evidence that learners met or exceeded learning expectations
• quotes from learners describing their engagement
Access to the Entry Media:
.wmv, .mov, .avi, .rm, .mpg, .m4g video file(s)
.psd, .jpg, .png, .tiff, .tga, .gif digital image file(s)
Executibles, video, or Show files from middleware tools
(PowerPoint, Unity, SecondLife, middleverse, etc)
... or combinations of all of the above
The judging of entries will be adjudicated by the Awards Committee of the Division of Emerging Learning Technologies. Those on this committee will be nominated by the DELT board and will be drawn from the membership of this Division. Judging will focus on the production qualities of the multimedia such as High Fidelity Audio, Visual, and Graphic components, as well as how well the learning objectives were met and students were seriously engaged.
• Any member of AECT is eligible to enter this award competition.
• Membership must be instated prior to receipt of entries.
Entries should be sent to:
Yadi Ziaee Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Professional Studies in Education
300 N. Beaty Street
, Athens State University, Athens, AL
McCain Hall 203, Cell: 812.219.6720